Time, Space, and the Rift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Doctor Who & Torchwood RPG forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.

Go down 
+3
rinoachan326
gwendolyne
mistojen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mistojen
Admin
mistojen

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Empty
PostSubject: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I must preface this announcement to warn...bitchy!Jen is bitchy.

There has been a bit of godmodding in small ways that I have noticed lately on the board. No more. If you plan to do that in any way, you need to have the character's permission. No excuses.

I have also seen complaints about the way characters are being portrayed as well as disputes between users in the chatbox. I'm reminding everyone that concerns of this nature need to be addressed DIRECTLY TO THE STAFF - ladydeadlock, cassikat, starrylizard, or myself - and should not take place in the chatbox any more.

Let me stress that no one person or few people have made me decide to post this announcement, but a lot of little things in the past week or two on top of the fact that I'm, admittedly, in a not-so-fantabulous mood due to real life happenings, are the reason I'm saying it.

The staff and I have let a lot of things slide because we're excited that the board is so active, but this is an all out heads up: from now on, if you feel your character is being godmodded or your characterization talked down upon, you need to let a staff member know. If you feel that someone is making others uncomfortable, let the staff know. We'll handle it; that's what we're here for.

All that said, no more heads up notices. THIS is your heads up. If you are contacted by staff regarding an issue, consider it your first of the three warnings before being stripped of your character. No exceptions.

...and sorry to be such a downer while at the same time being uber!bitch, but...yeah. I had to say something as it's beginning to pile up, now and we want everyone to be having fun here...not just some and not others.

Once you've read this, please respond below to let me know that you've seen it. There's no deadline or anything but I need to know it's been read by everyone. If you have any comments or questions that you feel you must get out - now would be the time. If it's going to start a debate, however, please address me via Private Message; the rest of the users don't want to see a throwdown (and if they do, that's just too bad Laughing )

And now we return to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited by mistojen on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://mistojen.livejournal.com
gwendolyne
gwendolyne

Number of posts : 123
Character : Gwen Cooper
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 5:53 pm

I've read Jen
Back to top Go down
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

Number of posts : 522
Character : Dr. Owen Harper
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Hope I didn't do anything serious.

But, uh, do you think you could define godmodding, I'm not sure I know what it means... ;>.>
Back to top Go down
http://rinoachan326.livejournal.com/profile
Suzanne
Suzanne

Number of posts : 207
Character : Ross Jenkins
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:01 pm

-hopes it wasn't me- *chews lip.*

Seen and understood Wink
Back to top Go down
Hakura0
Hakura0

Number of posts : 225
Character : Rose Tyler
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:07 pm

Read it and get it.
Back to top Go down
lennondollie

Number of posts : 86
Character : formerly Toshiko Sato
Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I kinda noticed it too.. but I read and agree!
Back to top Go down
mistojen
Admin
mistojen

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:12 pm

rinoachan326 wrote:
But, uh, do you think you could define godmodding, I'm not sure I know what it means... ;>.>

Dictating, directly or indirectly, actions or reactions of characters other than your own. At least according to Google searches Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://mistojen.livejournal.com
rinoachan326
rinoachan326

Number of posts : 522
Character : Dr. Owen Harper
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 6:13 pm

mistojen wrote:

Dictating, directly or indirectly, actions or reactions of characters other than your own. At least according to Google searches Laughing

I'll keep a better eye out from now on, thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rinoachan326.livejournal.com/profile
starrylizard
starrylizard

Number of posts : 271
Character : The Doctor

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 5:57 am

If anyone is worried about what constitutes god-moding, feel free to ask more questions and we'll explain as best we can.

The term god-moding (GMing/God modding) can cover several different things and they're all things you shouldn't do out of common courtesy. I'll try to outline briefly below.

1) Roleplaying another players actions/reactions without their consent. This includes speech and movement. You can easily nudge a character the way you want them to go, but it's still got to be their choice to do it.

2) Being Omniscient - knowing things you shouldn't rightly know and couldn't easily interpret. e.g. Knowing your opponent’s thoughts, knowing your opponent’s plans due to them being explained OOC or through narrative (your character knowing what you know), knowing information about a character before it’s been revealed (with the exception of past experience that can be referenced or unless otherwise explained).

3) God-moding can also be used to describe your character doing something completely impossible (also often referred to as part of being a Mary-sue/Gary-stu). That is, your character suddenly has abilities not previously mentioned, or skills never learned, without any sort of relevant explanation for how it came to be.

Obviously there are exceptions, but it's best to just ask the person you're RPing with if something is okay if you're unsure. Even perhaps leave an ooc note at the bottom of your post stating the other character was asked so as to stop other players wondering.

I will now shut up and let you all be.
Lizzie cyclops
Back to top Go down
lennondollie

Number of posts : 86
Character : formerly Toshiko Sato
Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks for explaining Lizzie, that helps me out mucho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.   Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Announcement - June 26, 2008 - ALL MUST READ AND RESPOND.
Page 1 of 1