Time, Space, and the Rift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Doctor Who & Torchwood RPG forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Catherine Davies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
icywhispers
icywhispers

Number of posts : 98
Character : Catherine Davies
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Catherine Davies Empty
PostSubject: Catherine Davies   Catherine Davies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:08 pm

The real you
Name/alias: cassikat
Role playing experience: See previous application.
Other characters: Jenny

Your character
Full name: Catherine Marie Davies
Nickname(s): Kate (close friends and working partners), Cam (Family only, now unused)
Date of birth: 17 Feb, 1973
Sexual preference: Men

Physical appearance
Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Blonde
Unique traits: (tattoos, piercings, and scars) Pierced ears, appendectomy scar
Face used: Laurie Holden
Image:Catherine Davies Kate
Likes: being in control, following inspiration wherever it leads, chocolate, coffee, fast cars
Dislikes: having no control, being stifled, pickles, public transport
Strengths: Genius level intelligence, determined, beautiful, cunning
Weaknesses: Overconfident, callous, obsessive personality
Hopes: To make an indeliable mark in history, to never run out of things to do, to always be in control
Fears: That she will never make a mark, that someone else will be given authority over her, car crashes, dogs.
Random facts: listens to classical music almost exclusively, hates and fears dogs
Skills: (don’t overkill it) MSc's in Neuroscience, Physics, Micromechanical Engineering
Overall personality: Kate is friendly enough...if you happen to be either wealthy, intelligent, well-connected, handsome/beautiful, or vital to the success of one of her plans or inventions. Otherwise, one would have warmer responses from an iceberg. To unwind from the stresses of her chosen work, she'll take her Tiger out on the open road and open it up. Or be kicked out of the lab by her partner...either way, at some point during every project, Kate will be collecting speeding tickets.

History
Place of birth: Cardiff, Wales
Currently living in: Cardiff, Wales
Family: Jocelyn and Andrew Davies, parents, deceased. Lloyd Michaels, ex-husband, deceased
Marital status: Divorced, though one could technically say widowed
Transportation: 1967 Sunbeam Tiger

History: Born to wealthy, intelligent parents, Catherine was raised with all the love and attention that would encourage her innate genius, as well as the work ethic that had earned the family it's fortune; that work ethic kept her from being spoiled as well as providing the foundation for her incredible, obsessive drive to succeed. This same drive saw her tear through everything Oxford had to offer in the sciences, though to the despair of her professors, not to pursue a higher degeree than MSc in anything. Who needed further, when an MSc in very nearly every subject had fewer requirements? She had far too much to do, and far too many ideas to explore to commit to even more years in university.

Oxford was also where she met her husband, Lloyd. He was brilliant in his field, that went without saying, but he was also able to set fire to her emotions like no one else ever had. Her parents, when Kate finally took her intended home to meet them, disliked him immediately. But they could not provide another reason other than his daring to wed their only daughter, and decided to allow the wedding to continue without interferance, since it made their little girl happy. And blissfully happy she was...for the next year. Trouble in paradise began when Lloyd decided that female company was better had with his assistant than with his wife, and within six months, Kate had joined the ranks of every other divorced, bitter woman. Unlike all those other women however, she was brilliant and cunning enough to gain revenge; death by his own car, with that woman, and never a trace to lead back to Kate. And the final touch of her revenge - his death occured before he'd managed to change his will, leaving Kate to claim most of his money.

After his death, she returned to Cardiff to be closer to her parents, and spent a happy six months puttering away on her projects - at least a quarter of them oriented towards influencing others - in the privacy of her loft, and going home every weekend. A happy time indeed, ended by what some might claim as karma coming back to roost; her parents died together in one of the most horrendous multiple-car pileups of the last decade. The grieving heiress spent six months mourning her parents, and then went back to the only thing she had left, her projects.

Discovering a decided lack of reference books of one subject in her personal library, she began haunting the libraries in Cardiff, where she discovered that there was another person who apparently had the same projects in mind, as she kept checking out the books Kate needed. After catching her in the act, Kate asked why she needed those particular books, and eventually the two of them began to discuss the different angles that they were approaching the same goal from. Having talked the library closed, they then went to a cafe where they continued bouncing ideas off each other over innumerable cups of coffee. As the cafe closed, Kate and her new friend Teresa Oliver had established a tentative partnership...a partnership that has continued on for several years now.

Other
Prove you read the rules: Mod Edit: Proven.
Role play sample: 241 words

~~~Six Months Ago~~~

Working with a partner, while fun, provided certain difficulties that she had not anticipated. Such as work-space; between herself and Teresa, they had rapidly filled her loft near to bursting with assorted projects in various stages of completion. They desperately needed another place to work, and they needed it yesterday. Pity it couldn't happen that fast - even money couldn't buy that much speed.

It had, in fact, taken over a month to get everything assembled; the lease on a very small warehouse had been the most quickly accomplished, coming in at just under a week. It was so fast (and inexpensive, for a warehouse), because it was very small, and proper shipping companies wanted much larger. The real delays had come in when she was getting the place re-wired, re-plumbed, and otherwise set up for any number of volatile projects.

"Honestly, I could have done this faster myself," she grumbled as she oversaw the final installation of converters and circuit breakers. "Oh, you're installing that one backwards! Stop wasting time!" She glanced at her watch and, though she was still annoyed at the delays, smirked in sardonic amusement; if they dawdle for another hour, they won't get the bonus and that will be a little extra windfall for the current project. Pity it was still a fairly obvious prototype at this point; she could have used it to subtly prod these idiots to work faster.

Last edited by icywhispers on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mistojen
Admin
mistojen

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Catherine Davies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catherine Davies   Catherine Davies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Well...I'm not super crazy about the fact that she's ubergenius (because it feels a bit Mary Sue to me) but I AM kind of in love with the fact that she killed her ex and his lover ( Laughing )...as well as the fact that she'll only give the time of day to people who can benefit her cause in some way. I say maybe if we can tone down on the skills a little bit then I'm on board with Catherine Smile

ETA: ...what do I know Laurie Holden from? It's driving me nuts how familiar she is and I can't figure out why scratch Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://mistojen.livejournal.com
starrylizard
starrylizard

Number of posts : 271
Character : The Doctor

Catherine Davies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catherine Davies   Catherine Davies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Haha! Awesome! I selfishly hope she meets/clashes with the Doctor. Smile

I don't personally mind her being an ubergenius in this context, because she comes across as a possible uber-baddie of the sort often on the show and it sounds like there's a bit of tongue in cheek going on here. However, I'll leave it up to the other two mods (other than you lol) to sort out any perceived problems, since we wouldn't want to set a precedent for Mary-Sue's if that's what they see here.

Approval x1 from me though.
Back to top Go down
icywhispers
icywhispers

Number of posts : 98
Character : Catherine Davies
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Catherine Davies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catherine Davies   Catherine Davies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:36 pm

Well, I did edit it down a lot cause it was a bit over the top. Was just so excited to have it done that I didn't think about it. She's still brilliant though...and if Torchwood doesn't foil her plans, she might run into the Doctor, who knows? Wink

And Laurie Holden? Started, AFAIK, in the X-Files Marita of the difficult to spell last name Razz. I think she's more recently been in The Mist, though I could've misread that while I was pic-hunting.
Back to top Go down
mistojen
Admin
mistojen

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble

Catherine Davies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catherine Davies   Catherine Davies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Laughing I know the feeling.

You know what? You really haven't changed a lot...but what you did change makes it feel a lot different to me. Plus, the more I read the history (and find things I missed before, apparently Embarassed ), the more I like her. She was lazy in school, in a way; she killed her husband to get his inheritance which is so beautifully NASTY, I fucking love it.

APPROVED.
Back to top Go down
http://mistojen.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

Catherine Davies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Catherine Davies   Catherine Davies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catherine Davies
Page 1 of 1