Time, Space, and the Rift
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Doctor Who & Torchwood RPG forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Captain Jack Harkness

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
everlasting
everlasting

Number of posts : 198
Character : Capt. Jack Harkness
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Captain Jack Harkness Empty
PostSubject: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:52 am

The real you
Name/alias: Ry (also known as Beth)
Role playing experience: About ten years now, I believe. I'm currently playing in the game Spookydo on LiveJournal (as Dr Owen Harper, username mediconsequence), and have played in many other games on LiveJournal and other sites (forums, InsaneJournal, GreatestJournal, etc.) in the past. If you want links, please let me know.
Other characters: N/A
Ahahaha, and I listened to Plumb's "Late Great Planet Earth" throughout writing this... *amused*

Your character
Full name: Captain Jack Harkness, real name unknown
Nickname(s): Many and varied, but all generally along the same lines...
Date of birth: Unknown
Age: Somewhere in the range of 130 years, give or take a few.
Sexual preference: Omnisexual - male, female, none of the above? Okay. It's the person that matters, not their sex.

Physical appearance
Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Brown
Unique traits: Nothing in particular.
Face used: John Barrowman
Image: Captain Jack Harkness Jack
Likes: The team, dancing (either meaning of the word Razz), technology, novelties, Earth, people, music, good drinks.
Dislikes: Betrayal, bad memories, anything happening to people he cares about, cheesy television soaps, dealing with government personnel.
Strengths: Charismatic, innovative, experienced. He's able to make the tough decisions that others might balk at. He's good at thinking on his feet.
Weaknesses: People he cares about (the team, the Doctor, Rose), aggressive at times. That same ability to make tough decisions sometimes makes him come off as cruel or unnecessarily cold. He sees the big picture but sometimes misses the details. His experience is valuable, but he can come off as thinking he knows better than anyone else simply because of the knowledge he has. He perceives his inability to "fix" some situations as a weakness.
Hopes: To build up Torchwood Three, to stop whatever is "coming". To protect the Rift. In a way, he still hopes to make the Doctor proud of him, though this is lessened somewhat since the incident with the Master. To do the best that he can with what he's got.
Fears: Losing the team, losing Torchwood, losing track. When you've lived as long as Jack has, one hopes to hold on to what little they can have, even if those things don't possess the same longevity. His past. Losing himself.
Random facts: Jack is immortal - he can die, but he'll always come back. It hurts like a bitch, though.
Skills: Other than his immortality ("It's more a talent than a skill," as he would put it), Jack is capable of dealing with many things at once, is intelligent, and has a great deal of experience with alien matters and different kinds of technology. He's an expert marksman (as mentioned in "Slow Decay", I believe; if not that, then "Something in the Water"..).
Overall personality: Jack Harkness is a very strange man, and he doesn't really try to reconcile that in any way. He's charismatic and outgoing, and he doesn't balk from any sort of social situation. He's good at dealing with people, but in a way he can be quite reserved. He doesn't talk about himself much, because he has so much to hide (his age, his experiences, his immortality). Taking things in stride is a bit of a specialty of his - especially if the thing is something that actually bothers him. He's adaptable and innovative, and he can adjust to almost any situation quickly enough; in other words, he bounces back pretty well. Jack never panics, either. It just doesn't happen. But then, when you're immortal, maybe some things just aren't as scary anymore. Probably the only thing that does scare him is the possibility of living forever: past the Earth, past the Sun, past the universe, and him still there, still going on. That's a chilling thought.

History
Place of birth: The Boeshane Peninsula, in the 51st century.
Currently living in: Cardiff. In the Hub, to be precise.
Family: Father, name unknown, deceased. Mother, name unknown, deceased. Younger brother, Gray, presumed deceased.
Marital status: Single
Transportation: The Torchwood SUV Very Happy Which he drives like an utter lunatic, apparently ("Slow Decay").
History: Okay, here we go. This could be a little bit.
Jack was born on the Boeshane Peninsula in the 51st century (assuming he's going by human standards of centuries, presumably thirty centuries after the present day). It was a place (it's unclear if it's a planet, an area, or merely a suburb of Tatooine) under siege by unknown enemies, who eventually attacked, killing many, including Jack's father. It was during this attack that Jack, then just a boy, was leading his brother to safety and let go of his hand... and lost him. He never saw Gray again, though he continued to search for him.
Some time after that incident, though again it isn't clear how long, Jack joined the Time Agency, where he worked for some time as a Time Agent (the job description isn't exactly clear) - the same job he assumed Rose and the Doctor to have when he met them. However, something happened, and Jack woke one morning to discover that the Time Agency had, somehow, stolen two years of his memories - and he had no idea why. He left the Agency then, determined to find a way to force them to return his memories to him, a task which he never accomplished, as he was interrupted by meeting the Doctor and Rose while pulling a con in London in 1941. Faced with the consequences of his carelessness, Jack came close to sacrificing himself before the Doctor and Rose came back for him, and thus he ended up in the TARDIS.
He traveled with the Doctor and Rose for some time ("Boomtown", "The Stealers of Dreams", an adventure in Kyoto alluded to in "Bad Wolf", etc.), though again the exact length of time is unclear, until he was separated from them - forever - on the Gamestation. It was there that Jack Harkness died, and then lived again when the Bad Wolf entity brought him back. It was there that he became immortal and, rising from the ashes, found the TARDIS vanishing before his eyes.
Able to use his Vortex Manipulator to get back to Earth, Jack shot for the 21st century-- and missed by a mile, winding up in the late 19th. From there, he made his way (gradually, and with a few pit-stops) to Cardiff, knowing that the Doctor used the Rift there to refuel the TARDIS and figuring that it was his best chance of meeting up with him again. He began working for Torchwood during this time, as he waited throughout the 20th century for the Doctor to return... and he never did.
On New Years' Eve, 1999, Jack was given control of Torchwood Three, albeit in a rather gruesome fashion. Since then, he has been working to improve and restructure Torchwood to a more suitable image (for the Doctor, as he admits in "Sound of Drums"). Over time, he made some new hires, resulting in his current team, of whom he is very fond.
Presently, Jack is working to bring the team - and himself - back around after the Rift opening and the demon Abbadon's attack in "End of Days", as well as recovering more personally from the events of "Utopia", "Sound of Drums", and "Last of the Time Lords".

Other
Prove you read the rules: Mod Edit: Proven
Role play sample:
Jack was alone in the Hub, and the reason he knew that was that he had dismissed everyone else hours ago. Afterwards, he'd gotten himself the joy of going through some of the forms and other paperwork he always thought of as his homework, and, settling at his desk to work, had begun to feel distinctly uneasy, as if someone was watching him. Years and years of practice and a great many sticky situations had taught him to obey whatever instinct it was that set him worrying like this, even when there wasn't much actual cause apparent to him, and so he rose from the desk, stepping around it to the door.
"I'm hearing the pitter patter of little feet," he said lightly, his hand ostensibly on his hip but actually resting on the butt of his Webley, "And I know they're not mine. So you might as well come out and play nicely."
He knew it wasn't one of his team. They already would have shown themselves, and why not? It wasn't like he was going to get mad at them for working late. He'd just send them on their way. But the fact that someone else was in the Hub, and that someone was not one of the team...
Well, that worried Jack. Trespassers did that. But they also irritated him. No one came into the Hub without his approval. Not these days, not anymore.

Last edited by everlasting on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
starrylizard
starrylizard

Number of posts : 271
Character : The Doctor
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 am

Heya Ry! This is a fab application. Especially the in-depth history! Also "I'm hearing the pitter patter of little feet...and I know they're not mine" is so very Jack! Very Happy

I can't approve you, though until you put in the secret phrases in the "Prove you read the rules:" bit of the form. No I saw you comment on each thread that you read them and I totally believe you. The secret phrases are kinda deliberately hard to find, but they are in there. In each post for the forum and game play rules there's a random line in there The secret phrase is: and then the phrase. Pop the phrases in your application and we're away.

Thanks so much for playing!
Back to top Go down
everlasting
everlasting

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 am

They're in there! But they're in tiny text. Sorry, I'll edit and resize them. I just didn't want to make it that easy for people to go "Oh THAT'S what they are" and figured that might be better.

ETA: Okay, they're in there. Size 10 font this time. So, readable. Sorry for the confusion. Augh. I feel so dumb. *hides*
Back to top Go down
starrylizard
starrylizard

Number of posts : 271
Character : The Doctor

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 am

Nah, I'm the dumb one. lol Sorry 'bout that!
Well you have my approval. Just need one of the other mods to swing by too. cheers
Back to top Go down
everlasting
everlasting

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 am

No, I should've known better. Augh. xD;

Thanks! *waits patiently... er, semi-patiently.. well, trying*
Back to top Go down
mistojen
Admin
mistojen

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 7:45 am

I'd say my only quibble was the sexual preference section seeming a little rough, but I get the impression, from the rest of your app, that you're pretty familiar with Jack and you know that he'll pretty much do anything with a zipcode Laughing so I'm not gonna hold you back on that one merit. This looks really, really lovely! Welcome!

APPROVED.

I will get your av and character title done as soon as I get home from work, but I've got to run, I'm so sorry. Feel free to stick in your own av for the time being if you like Smile
Back to top Go down
http://mistojen.livejournal.com
everlasting
everlasting

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks so much! Very Happy

Yeah, I was worried about that one part. Augh. Glad the rest was good enough to overshadow it Razz
Back to top Go down
mistojen
Admin
mistojen

Number of posts : 449
Character : Donna Noble

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:35 am

Yeah, it's okay. I can tell and clearly so can the other mod, that you've got his character pretty well down. It's all good. I've fixed your permissions for the Torchwood 3 section (so now you can post in the canon area) and I'm adding your character thing. Gonna try to get your av up before my lunch break is up, but if it's not there, it'll be up tonight Smile Happy RPing!

ETA: you're all set and I've got four minutes to spare. WIN Wink
Back to top Go down
http://mistojen.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captain Jack Harkness   Captain Jack Harkness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Captain Jack Harkness
Page 1 of 1